As I continue to find ideas for my theme of Exploring Your Own Backyard, I came across a video that a young child named Lydia created on the life of Molly Brown. The Molly Brown House/Museum is located in downtown Denver and I wanted to learn more about her history and the house. I think the children and I will be visiting the museum soon!
The digital story, Lydia’s Molly Brown Story is told from the viewpoint of Molly Brown. I learned many facts about Molly Brown that I had never heard before and Lydia does a great job of telling the story. I will be using Lankshear and Knobel’s framework for remix practices.
- What are the online spaces and sites that bring this story to life? Why do these spaces and sites matter to the impact of the given story?
- The video is promoted on Vimeo. I found the story by searching for Colorado history digital stories. I would have appreciated more information about why the video was created, how old Lydia was, and where her research was done. This could have been added to the video description and could have validated the information.
- How would you characterize the “literacy dimensions” present in this story?
- You would need to know how to import pictures into a video creation as well as music and narration to complete this project. Also, the creator used many fades from one picture to the next creating a nice flow and visual effect.
- What types of “involvement” – and by the author/creator(s), participant(s), and/or audience – are apparent in this story?
- Lydia told the story as though she were Molly Brown. The facts that she choose to include were interesting and informative. I was drawn in by the original pictures that enhanced her narrative.
- Based upon your assessment of involvement and literacy dimensions, what modifications and changes to this digital story might improve aspects of narrative, production, media usage, and/or audience engagement?
- I enjoyed the period appropriate music in the beginning as well as the original pictures throughout the video. I think this would be a great video to share with my children because it is informative as well as interesting because it is told in a child’s voice. Lydia does a beautiful job of speaking slow and clear. I would have loved to have known how much involvement Lydia had in the project. Did she write the narration and find the pictures? Did she create the video for a project? Was this video a result of going to visit the Molly Brown Museum?
Overall this was a great digital story told by a young child in the voice of Molly Brown. I learned many new facts about Molly and can’t wait to go visit the museum.